Sensory Play: Smell!
Smell is often a sense that can get neglected during play. We can be very focused on sight and sounds and touch but adding a scent to play can create even more points of interest and exploration.
Here are some simple ways to add the sense of smell to play:
1) Add citrus, herbs or flower petals to a water bin for play
2) Add a few drops of an essential oil to any homemade doughs
3) Go on a “Smell Hunt” - candles, spices, fruits, freshly washed laundry etc
4) Arrange or cut flowers and herbs
5) Take s “sniff test” of various fruits and vegetables or other household items and rank them from yummiest to yuckiest
6) Play “guess that smell” with household spices
7) Add a few drops of various essential oils onto cotton balls and play “match the smell”
8) Make ”spice paint“ with turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg and more!
Cooking as a family is also a fantastic, practical, hands-on way to explore all senses, especially smell!